A liquid nitrogen spill caused between 325 and 350 students to quickly evacuate Enderis Hall, 2400 E. Hartford Ave., on Monday afternoon.
A lab technician was transferring the liquid nitrogen from large containers in the basement to smaller containers for experiments when the valve malfunctioned and the gas from the container quickly filled the room. The technician noticed the leak and contacted the Milwaukee Fire Department.
The Milwaukee fire department closed Hartford Avenue and entered the building. Most of the gas had been released from the container before the Milwaukee Fire Department hazardous waste team arrived to close the valve, university spokesman Tom Luljak explained. The team also managed to ventilate the room in which the leak took place.
“Enderis Hall was reopened a short time later and is now safe once again,” says Luljak. All classes were able to resume at that time.