Many students had classes canceled already on the first day of classes as Bolton Hall was shut down due to a brush fire outside the building.
According to a statement released in an email by the University, a cigarette butt ignited a leaf pile outside of Bolton Hall. This fire then filled the building’s air system with smoke, causing the building to be closed for most of the day on Tuesday, Sept. 6.
During the day, students were seen waiting outside of Bolton Hall to get to their classes. The building was to open at 2:00 p.m. on Sept. 6, but the building was not safe for students to enter at that time.
Students and faculty were updated throughout the day by the University on the status of Bolton Hall through text messages and emails.
All entrances to Bolton Hall were blocked off so students could not get past. If faculty needed to retrieve items from Bolton Hall, the UWM Police would escort them inside until 5:00 p.m.
Bolton Hall will be open on Wednesday, Sept. 7, but the University has warned that there may be a slight smell of cleaning products in Bolton Hall. Students or faculty with a sensitivity to odors should make special arrangements and students should let their professors know if that cannot make class due to this issue.